Aloe vera plant (ghritkumari) is a juicy plant species which is frequently citied due to its use in herbal medicines since ages. The word ‘vera’ means true or genuine. This makes aloe vera plant benefits the most genuine and versatile panacea for all your health woes. Aloe vera is widely used in cosmetic and alternative medicines industries as it is having healing, rejuvenating and soothing properties. Aloe vera plant is a stemless or very short stemmed juicy plant which grows to the height of 60-100cm(25-39 in) tall. The leaves are thick and fleshy which are green to grey green colour.
Aloe vera plant benefits and uses of aloe vera (ghritkumari)
Aloe Vera plant benefits for curing bowel problems due to its high anti-inflammatory properties. Aloe vera plant benefits to help in the growth of good bacteria in the gut, this keeps all digestive disorders at bay.
For Muscle and Joint Pains
Applying the aloe vera plant (ghritkumari) gel externally can ease muscle and joint pains. But do not forget to use freshly prepared gel .
For Heart Reflux
Drink Aloe Vera plant juice as it reduces the symptoms of heart reflux and stabilizes the alkaline levels of the body. It has a soothing effect on the stomach walls and reduces heart burn and discomfort. Due to its laxative properties, it also treats constipation.
Reduces Cholesterol Level
Aloe vera plant benefits to cholesterol level by reducing triglycerides. Include fresh Aloe vera plant juice in your daily diet to maintain your cholesterol level and increase the level of good cholesterol. By reducing cholesterol, you are protecting your heart from damage
Healthy Weight Loss
Aloe vera plant juice is an easy and natural weight loss solution . It reduces the weight by stabilizing the metabolic rate, reducing the lipid levels and helping burn fat.
Aloe vera uses For Dental or Oral Hygiene
Washing the mouth with aloe vera plant juice improves the oral hygiene. A study shown that aloe vera juice benefits the periodontal health post dental procedures like root canal and scaling. Another study also shown that aloe vera plant benefits to reduce oral lichen planus, a common dental problem.
Aloe Vera plant (ghritkumari) is good for diabetes patients because aloe vera plant benefits to regulate the blood sugar levels when consumed regularly. However, consult your doctor before you start consuming the aloe vera plant juice. You need to have the dose prescribed by the doctor so that it doesn’t interfere with the medicines you are having to curb blood sugar
Helps To Detox
Mix 2 teaspoons of fresh Aloe Vera plant juice with 1 glass of water and drink it every day early in the morning. This will help detoxify and cleanse your system. Aloe vera plant benefits to treat ulcers and detoxify the digestive system .
Maintains Gum Health
Applying fresh aloe vera (ghritkumari) plant gel directly to the gums reduces the pain and inflammation. Since oral hygiene affects the overall health, it is important to curb gum bleeding and inflammation.
Reduces Eye Irritation
Mix 2 teaspoons of aloe vera plant gel in a cup of water. You can also add a teaspoon of boric acid. Use this eye wash to reduce the reddening and irritation in the eyes.
Relieves Sinus And Chest Congestion
Aloe Vera (ghritkumari) plant is rich in magnesium lactate that works as an antihistamine, aloe vera plant benefits in reducing the problem of sinus and chest inflammation due to various allergies.
The regular intake of the aloe vera juice helps to fight cancer. It contains high level of anti-carcinogenic properties that hinder the growth of tumours.
Drinking aloe juice regularly replenishes the amino acid deficiency in your body. The high vitamin content in it boosts up your body’s immune system and self-defense mechanism.
Fights Common Cold and Cough
For those who suffer regularly from cold, coughs, flu, stuffy nose, bronchitis and other respiratory disorders, Aloe Vera plant juice is the best natural solution. The Vitamin C content of the aloe vera juice ensures protection from common colds that occur with environmental changes.
Skin benefits of Aloe vera and uses of aloe vera (ghritkumari)
A Soothing Aftershave
Men can use Aloe Vera (ghritkumari) plant gel as an after shave. It reduces the irritation and inflammation of the skin and heals the cuts due to shaving.
Removes Acne and Acne Marks
Make Aloe Vera plant your friend as it is the best natural remedy for curing acne and pimples and also its scars. It has antimicrobial property that helps kill the bacteria causing acne and reduces the acne marks by lightening the skin.
Fights Signs of Ageing
The anti-ageing property of Aloe vera plant benefits and keeps the skin supple and rejuvenated and also lightens blemishes.
Removes Dead Cells and Stretch Marks
Aloe Vera plant benefits to remove dead cells, wrinkles and fine lines. Aloe vera plant juice also helps to remove stretch marks.
Prevents Sun Tan And Soothes Skin
Aloe Vera plant gel is highly beneficial for treating sun burns. It is an excellent cooling agent. Apply fresh gel on your skin every day to get immediate results. It reduces the pain and the redness of the skin and forms a protective layer which reduces further damage.
It heals cuts and wounds, dermatitis and also insect bites when applied externally .
For All Seasons
Aloe vera plant benefits for hydrating and moisturizes the skin well. So it can be used in all weathers to prevent dry and patchy skin.
For dry, cracked feet
Mix together 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1/2 cup corn meal, 4 Tbsp aloe vera gel, and 1/2 cup unscented body lotion and rub all over tired feet until well exfoliated. Sit for 10 minutes, then rinse with warm water.
Aloe vera plant benefits for hair
Promotes Hair Growth
Aloe Vera plant is rich in proteolytic enzymes which help to remove the dead skin which clogs the pores of the scalp, which hinders the growth of new hair follicles. Accumulation of excessive sebum on the scalp can lead to hair problems like partial baldness. So the Aloe vera plant benefits to remove sebum, making the scalp squeaky clean and promoting hair growth.
Maintains the pH Balance
Aloe Vera plant has alkaline properties which help to maintain the pH level of the scalp and hair. This keeps the hair moisturised and allows hair growth.
Aloe Vera plant benefits for curing dandruff since the ancient times. Due to its property of enzymatic breakdown of skin cells and anti-fungal properties, aloe vera plant benefits to reduce dandruff from the scalp. It also heals scalp diseases like psoriasis and seborrhea.
Add 2 teaspoons of fresh Aloe vera gel into your favourite conditioner and use it daily. This would enhance the moisturising properties of your conditioner as it deeply hydrates your hair shafts, giving you soft and smooth hair.
Aloe vera uses for face pack and aloe vera plant benefits for skin
Face pack for tan removal
Tanning ruins your natural beauty and is not a pleasing sight. So, take some aloe vera plant gel and mix a few drops of lemon juice in it. Apply it evenly on your face and neck. Leave it on for 15 minutes. Wash it off with lukewarm water, to see the glow it imparts on your skin.
Aloe vera face mask for treating pigmentation
Pigmentations and freckles steal away your fairness. Make a mixture of aloe vera plant gel and rose water. Apply it on your face and keep it on for 15-20 minutes. Before rinsing off the pack, gently massage it for a few minutes. With this pack you can see pigmentation, age spots, and pimple marks disappearing.
Aloe vera face pack for oily skin
Boil the aloe vera plant leaves in water and then grind it into a paste. But, make sure that you remove the thorns from the leaves before you boil them. Mix some honey in it. Apply the paste for 20 minutes before rinsing it off. It can work wonders for oily skin if followed every week.
Aloe vera face mask for sensitive skin
Mix some aloe vera plant gel with cucumber juice, yoghurt, and rose oil. Apply this paste on your face and neck. Keep it on for 15 minutes. You can use any other essential oil, if rose oil is not available. Wash off the pack with cold water. It is an effective face pack to get rid of skin rashes, impurities and dirt.
Aloe vera face pack for dry skin
Prepare a paste of aloe vera plant gel, cottage cheese, dates and cucumber. Add some lemon juice in it. This is a great home remedy for your dry and dull skin. Apply the paste on your face and neck, leaving it for approximately 30 minutes. Rinse it off to see a prettier you.
Aloe vera Face pack for detoxification
Just blend some aloe vera plant gel with mango pulp and lime juice. Apply it on the face for 20 minutes. Rinse it off with cold water. This will refresh your skin and make it glow.
Face pack cum scrub for removing dead skin
Use this to brighten and enliven your skin. Mix aloe vera gel and cucumber dices into a thick paste. Add oatmeal to this. Apply this on your face, and scrub it in circular motions for 5 minutes. After that let the pack stay for 10 minutes. Wash it off to get rid of those harmful dead cells from your face.
Some disadvantages associated with aloe vera plant
- Consult your doctor before consuming aloe vera juice, especially if you’re undergoing a medical treatment or taking prescribed drugs, as the juice may cause adverse reactions when consumed along with few medicines. Laxative in aloe vera may even inhibit the absorption of some drugs in the body. Aloe vera plant juice also reacts to herbs like jalap roots, castor oil, rhubarb root and bark root, causing dehydration and diarrhoea. Fenugreek and garlic do not digest well with aloe juice; it can lower blood sugar and potassium levels in the body.
- Aloe vera juice contains a substance called anthraquinone, a laxative, which can cause diarrhoea if taken in large amounts. Severe diarrhoea can cause pain, cramps and dehydration.
- Drinking aloe vera juice can result in allergic reactions like skin rash or hives, itchy or swollen skin, difficulty in breathing, chest pain and throat irritation.
- Aloe vera juice contains latex, an ingredient which has many health risks associated with it. It can aggravate health problems like colitis, Crohn’s disease, appendicitis, diverticulosis, intestinal obstruction, hemorrhoid, stomach pains and ulcers. There are also reports which suggest of hepatitis caused by consumption of aloe vera juice, becoming a cause of concern for people with liver problems.
- Pregnant and lactating women are strictly forbidden from consuming aloe vera juice, due to its purgative and irritant qualities. It may stimulate uterine contractions in pregnant women, leading to miscarriage and birth defects. Lactating women should also refrain from consuming aloe vera juice, as it contains anthraquinone which may lead to diarrhea. It is also considered unsafe for children below 12 years of age.
- People, who suffer from irritable bowel syndrome and gastrointestinal problem, should not drink aloe vera juice, as it contains high amount of laxatives which can increase the severity of the problem.
- Drinking unprocessed aloe vera juice can cause dehydration and electrolyte imbalance in the body. It also changes urine color to pink or red in color.
- Consumption of aloe vera juice can lead the body to produce excessive amounts of adrenaline, which can be harmful for people suffering from heart conditions. It can also lower potassium levels in the body, causing irregular heartbeats, weakness and soft muscles. Hence, it is not recommended for children and elderly people.
- Consuming aloe vera juice, for more than a year can cause pseudomelanosis coli, a condition which increases the risk of colorectal cancer. There are even possibilities of developing carcinogenic risk if consumed in high amounts.
- Advocated reading-Home remedies to cure headache-really effective!!
- Tomato-Nutritional value, health benefits and recipes.
- Aloe vera plant juice helps to lower blood sugar levels by decreasing insulin resistance in the body. Thus, people who are undergoing treatment for hypoglycemia or diabetes should consult their physician before consuming aloe vera juice.
Ways to have Aloe vera plant in your diet
Aloe vera halwa
½ cup ghee
1 cup chopped aloe vera
200 ml milk
1 cup mawa
½ cup sugar
2 tbsp edible gum
2 tbsp roasted makhana
2 tsp melon seeds
35 gm mixed dry fruits
1 tsp green cardamom
2 pinch nutmeg powder
2 pinch mace powder
2 tsp saffron dipped in water
Aloe vera skin
- Take a pan and put ghee for heating then put
- Aloe vera and stir it for 20-25 mins.
- On thickening put milk, condensed milk, sugar,
- edible gum, makhana, melon seeds, mixed dry fruits
- green cardamom powder, nutmeg powder,
- mace powder & saffron &
- cook it for 5-7 mins.
- Garnish the cooked halwa with aloe vera peel or skin, varaq,saffron(kesar), cashew nuts and almond.
- Aloe vera Halwa is ready to be served.
Aloe vera Subji or Aloe vera(ghritkumari) dish
4 aloe vera.
1/2 tsp fenugreek (methi) seeds.
a pinch asafoetida (hing).
1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi).
1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds (methi) powder.
1 tbsp chilli powder.
1 tsp coriander (dhania) powder.
1/2 tsp dried mango powder (amchur).
1 cinnamon (dalchini) stick.
1 black cardamom (badi elaichi).
1 tsp jaggery (gur).
1 tbsp hung curds (chakka dahi).
2 tbsp oil.
1/4 cup water.
salt to taste.
- Peel and cut the aloe vera leaves into cubes.
- Boil them for 4 minutes with a pinch of salt in enough water, drain and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the fenugreek seeds, cardamom and cinnamon.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida, turmeric powder, coriander powder, am chur powder, chilli powder, jaggery and salt and mix well.
- Add water and put aloe vera cubes to it, cover with a lid and cook for 5 minutes on low flame
- Add the curd and stir for 1 minute.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Pineapple, papaya and aloe vera juice
3/4 cup pineapple cubes.
3/4 cup papaya cubes.
1/4 cup finely chopped aloe vera.
1/2 tsp lemon juice.
1 tsp honey.
Some ice crushes.
- Add the pineapple cubes, papaya cubes and aloe vera.
- Blend in a juicer till smooth.
- Strain the juice using a strainer.
- Add the lemon juice and honey and mix well.
- Add ice crushes in 2 individual glasses
- Pour equal quantities of the juice over it.
There are many types of aloe vera (ghritkumari) available. Prefer to choose having dark green colour as it tastes much sweeter that the other ones.