Banana known as “kela” in hindi is an edible fruit, botanically a berry, produced by several kinds of large herbaceous flowering plants in the genus Musa and is one of most popular fruits that are easily available all year round. Bananas are exceptionally healthy as they provide numerous banana benefits for health. It is a versatile fruit that contains many nutrients including vitamins A, B, C and E along with minerals like potassium, zinc, iron and manganese.
Banana benefits for Health
Helps Lower Cholesterol
Pectin which is a soluble fiber in banana helps to lower Cholesterol levels. Fibers that are water soluble such as pectin, psyllium, beta-glucan etc., lower the LDL Cholesterol without disturbing the HDL cholesterol very important among banana benefits.
Improves Nerve Function and Enhances Brain Power
Banana is a rich source of B vitamins and therefore perks up nerve function. Potassium, in banana keeps the mental faculties vigilant and boosts learning abilities.
Supports Renal Health
Bananas being a rich source of potassium, if consumed regularly in moderation, promote renal health.
Helps Build Healthy Bones
Probiotic bacteria present in bananas is said to have astonishing ability to absorb calcium in the body. Hence, consuming bananas help in building better bones one of amazing banana benefits.
Helps Combat Stomach Ulcers
Certain substances in nutrition of banana stimulate the cells which make up the stomach lining, this enables production of a thicker protective mucus barrier against stomach acids.
Relieve from Constipation
Helps Regulating Anemia
Banana benefits for health are good for anaemic patients as they contain high levels of iron which help regulate the haemoglobin levels in the body.
The presence of benign amino acids in banana helps combat allergies.
Helps in Curing Piles
Since bananas help regulate bowel movement they help cure piles.
Enhance Weight Gain
The combination of milk and bananas enhances weight gain. Bananas provide the body with necessary natural sugars and milk provides protein.
Bananas are rich in amino acids known as Tryptophan. This substance triggers production of melatonin (sleep hormone) which induces sleep. Eating banana a few hours before bedtime ensures a peaceful night’s sleep.
Banana benefits for skin
Bananas nutrition contains generous amount of Vitamin C that helps in maintaining the natural and youthful glow of the skin. Some banana face masks to banana benefits of skin:
- Mash half a ripe banana and mix it with 1 tbsp of sandalwood powder and ½ tsp of honey. Let it stay on the skin for 20-25 minutes and wash it with lukewarm water. This face mask is beneficial for oily skin as sandalwood helps in cleaning excess sebum and oil from the skin while banana keeps it moisturized.
- Mash one ripe banana and mix it with lemon juice form one lemon (approximately 2-3 tbsp). Leave it on for 25 minutes. This mask is full of vitamin C which will get rid of dullness and help in reduction of spots and blemishes.
- For an anti-aging facial mask loaded with vitamins A and E, mash together an avocado and a banana. Leave on skin for 25 minutes and rinse. Skin will be soft and youthful. The vitamins E in avocados combined with the nutrients in bananas fight free radicals and repair damage.
- Another simple face mask to fight effect of ageing is to mash 1/4 banana until very creamy and add one teaspoon of rose water. Apply it on face and neck and wash it off after half an hour.
Banana Skin Scrubs
Banana is full of anti-oxidants; mixed with a few ingredients, it not only helps to get rid of dead skin but also leaves it feeling rejuvenated. Some banana based scrubs are:
- Take mashed banana and 1 tbsp. of sugar and mix them well. Apply it on skin and rub it in circular motions. Banana will moisturize the dry skin while sugar granules will get rid of the dead skin.
- Mash a ripe banana; add 2-3 tablespoons of oats, 1 tablespoon of honey and 1 tablespoon milk. Apply it on face and leave it 5 minutes, then slowly rub it on skin. Wash with cold water. In case you have extremely dry skin, you can substitute milk with fresh cream.
- Take half a ripe banana, 1 tbsp. coconut milk, 2 tbsp. uncooked rice, blend everything together to get a thick paste. Gently massage your face with this paste and wash with cold water afterwards.
- To make a body scrub, mash 2 bananas with 4-5 strawberries using a blender. Mix 3 tablespoons of sugar and use it as a body scrub when you take a bath.
Treat Puffy Eyes
Mash half a banana and apply generously around the puffy eyes. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes and then rinsing with cool water. The puffiness will vanish instantly. The potassium rich banana draws out excess fluid from under skin and reduces the swelling immediately.
Treats Itchy Skin
Banana benefits from itchy and swollen skin, just rub the banana peel on the effective area and you will feel the itching and swelling subside.
Pack for Acne
Cut a small piece of the peel. Rub the inside of the peel gently over the acne affected area. Rub for about 5 minutes or until the inside of the peel gets brown. Clean the skin around with lukewarm water but let the banana dry out on the affected area to do. Repeat this at least 3 times a day.
Banana benefits for hair
For Soft Hair
Mix ripe banana with avocado and add coconut milk to the mixture. Apply it on your hair and wait for 15-20 minutes. This pack conditions damaged hair and makes the hair soft.
For Dry Hair
Mix three tbsp of honey with ripe banana and apply it on your hair while it is still wet. Let the hair pack sit for 15-20 minutes followed by the usual hair wash.
Fight Hair Loss
Mix ripe banana pulp with yogurt. Apply the smooth paste on your scalp and rinse with cold water after 15-20 minutes.
For Shine and Health
Peel a banana and add 1/4 cup of olive oil and one egg white and blend all together. Puree for a couple of minutes. Apply on your hair and leave for 15 minutes followed by hair wash with shampoo and conditioner.