Banana known as “kela” in hindi is an edible fruit, botanically a berry, produced by several kinds of large herbaceous flowering plants in the genus Musa and is one of most popular fruits that are easily available all year round. Bananas are exceptionally healthy as they provide numerous banana benefits for health. It is a versatile fruit that contains many nutrients including vitamins A, B, C and E along with minerals like potassium, zinc, iron and manganese.here are banana benefits.
Banana benefits for Health
Helps Lower Cholesterol
Pectin which is a soluble fiber in banana helps to lower Cholesterol levels. Fibers that are water soluble such as pectin, psyllium, beta-glucan etc., lower the LDL Cholesterol without disturbing the HDL cholesterol very important among banana benefits.
Improves Nerve Function and Enhances Brain Power
Banana is a rich source of B vitamins and therefore perks up nerve function. Potassium, in banana keeps the mental faculties vigilant and boosts learning abilities.
Supports Renal Health
Bananas being a rich source of potassium, if consumed regularly in moderation, promote renal health.
Helps Build Healthy Bones
Probiotic bacteria present in bananas is said to have astonishing ability to absorb calcium in the body. Hence, consuming bananas help in building better bones one of amazing banana benefits.
Helps Combat Stomach Ulcers
Certain substances in bananas stimulate the cells which make up the stomach lining, this enables production of a thicker protective mucus barrier against stomach acids.
Relieve from Constipation
Pectin found in Bananas, help to alleviate constipation and improves bowel function.
Helps Regulating Anemia
Bananas are good for Anaemic patients as they contain high levels of iron which help regulate the haemoglobin levels in the body.
The presence of benign amino acids in banana helps combat allergies.
Helps in Curing Piles
Since bananas help regulate bowel movement they help cure piles.
Enhance Weight Gain
The combination of milk and bananas enhances weight gain. Bananas provide the body with necessary natural sugars and milk provides protein.
Bananas are rich in amino acids known as Tryptophan. This substance triggers production of melatonin (sleep hormone) which induces sleep. Eating banana a few hours before bedtime ensures a peaceful night’s sleep.
Banana benefits for skin
Banana contains generous amount of Vitamin C that banana benefits in maintaining the natural and youthful glow of the skin. Some banana face masks to banana benefits of skin:
- Mash half a ripe banana and mix it with 1 tbsp. of sandalwood powder/paste and ½ tsp. of honey. Let it stay on the skin for 20-25 minutes and wash it with lukewarm water. This face mask is beneficial for oily skin as sandalwood helps in cleaning excess sebum and oil from the skin while banana keeps it moisturized.
- Mash one ripe banana and mix it with lemon juice form one lemon (approximately 2-3 tbsp.). Leave it on for 25 minutes. This mask is full of vitamin C which will get rid of dullness and help in reduction of spots and blemishes.
- For an anti-aging facial mask loaded with vitamins A and E, mash together an avocado and a banana. Leave on skin for 25 minutes and rinse. Skin will be soft and youthful. The vitamins E in avocados combined with the nutrients in bananas fight free radicals and repair damage.
- Another simple face mask to fight effect of ageing is to mash 1/4 banana until very creamy and add one teaspoon of rose water. Apply it on face and neck and wash it off after half an hour.
Banana Skin Scrubs
Banana is full of anti-oxidants; mixed with a few ingredients, it not only helps to get rid of dead skin but also leaves it feeling rejuvenated. Some banana based scrubs are:
- Take mashed banana and 1 tbsp. of sugar and mix them well. Apply it on skin and rub it in circular motions. Banana will moisturize the dry skin while sugar granules will get rid of the dead skin.
- Mash a ripe banana; add 2-3 tablespoons of oats, 1 tablespoon of honey and 1 tablespoon milk. Apply it on face and leave it 5 minutes, then slowly rub it on skin. Wash with cold water. In case you have extremely dry skin, you can substitute milk with fresh cream.
- Take half a ripe banana, 1 tbsp. coconut milk, 2 tbsp. uncooked rice, blend everything together to get a thick paste. Gently massage your face with this paste and wash with cold water afterwards.
- To make a body scrub, mash 2 bananas with 4-5 strawberries using a blender. Mix 3 tablespoons of sugar and use it as a body scrub when you take a bath.
Treat Puffy Eyes
Mash half a banana and apply generously around the puffy eyes. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes and then rinsing with cool water. The puffiness will vanish instantly. The potassium rich banana draws out excess fluid from under skin and reduces the swelling immediately.
Treats Itchy Skin
Banana benefits from itchy and swollen skin, just rub the banana peel on the effective area and you will feel the itching and swelling subside.
Pack for Acne
Cut a small piece of the peel. Rub the inside of the peel gently over the acne affected area. Rub for about 5 minutes or until the inside of the peel gets brown. Clean the skin around with lukewarm water but let the banana dry out on the affected area to do. Repeat this at least 3 times a day.
Banana benefits for hair
For Soft Hair
Mix ripe banana with avocado and add coconut milk to the mixture. Apply it on your hair and wait for 15-20 minutes. This pack conditions damaged hair and makes the hair soft and can also make the same mask by adding cocoa. Presence of cocoa helps in bringing out the natural color of the hair and know amazing banana benefits.
For Dry Hair
Mix three spoons of honey with ripe banana and apply it on your hair while it is still wet. Let the hair pack sit for 15-20 minutes followed by the usual hair wash.
- Bitter Gourd (Karela) nutritional benefits and recipes
- Walnut benefits for health,skin,hair and recipes
Fight Hair Loss
Mix ripe banana pulp with yoghurt. Apply the smooth paste on your scalp and rinse with cool water after 15-20 minutes.
For Shine and Health
Peel a banana and add 1/4 cup of olive oil and one egg white and put in a blender. Puree for a couple of minutes. Let it stay on your hair for 15 minutes followed by hair wash with shampoo and conditioner.
Ways to have Banana in diet (banana recipes)
2 cups self-raising flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup (80mL) vegetable oil
2 cup milk
1 cup mashed banana (2 large)
12 pecan halves (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a muffin pan or line with paper cases. Sift flour into a large bowl. Add sugar and beat briefly to combine.
- In a glass measuring jug, pour in milk (up to 1 cup), oil (up to 1 1/3 cups) and add eggs, whisk to combine.
- Pour milk mix and bananas into dry ingredients, beat with until just combined. Spoon into muffin pans and top with a pecan half (if using) and bake for 15 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool slightly, then place on rack to cool completely.
Chocolate Banana Bread
3 large ripe bananas
1/3 cup melted butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 large egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground all spice
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Puree the peeled ripe bananas until smooth. You should have 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups of banana puree. Butter or spray with cooking spray the inside of a 5×9-inch loaf pan. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C) with a rack in the middle.
- Place the banana puree into a large mixing bowl. Stir the melted butter. Stir in the brown sugar and salt. Whisk to break up any clumps of brown sugar. Stir in the beaten egg and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, vigorously whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and allspice.
- Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture and stir until just incorporated. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into a buttered loaf pan. Place in a 350°F (175°C) oven and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Gently remove the loaf from the pan and place on a rack to cool completely.