Garlic known as “lahsun” in hindi belongs to the onion genus Allium, and is closely related to the onion, rakkyo, chive, leek, and shallot. It has been used by humans for thousands of years and was used in Ancient Egypt for both culinary purposes and its health and therapeutic garlic benefits. It is easy to grow and can be grown year-round in mild climates. Here are health benefits of garlic eater.
- 1 Garlic benefits and garlic uses for skin, hair and health benefits of garlic
- 1.1 Health Benefits of garlic
- 1.2 Garlic benefits for skin
- 1.3 Benefits of garlic for Hair
- 1.4 Disadvantages of Garlic
- 1.5 Ways to have garlic in diet (Garlic recipes)
Garlic benefits and garlic uses for skin, hair and health benefits of garlic
Health Benefits of garlic
- Garlic clove can help with cold sores as well. Cut open a raw clove of garlic and apply it directly to the sore. It will sting for a moment, garlic benefits help in healing the sore in no time and will also make sure that it does not get infected (1).
- Garlic (Allium sativum) has been used as a spice, food, and medicine for over 5,000 years, and is one of the earliest documented herbs utilized for the maintenance of health and treatment of disease. garlic has traditionally been used to strengthen the immune system and gastrointestinal health (2).
- The anti-fungal properties of garlic can also be used to treat fungal skin infection such as athlete’s foot and heat bumps on legs. Mince a few cloves of garlic and cover the affected area with it. Cover this with gauze and let it stay overnight. After washing feet in the morning, apply garlic oil on the affected area and cover with sock. Repeat this process for a few days and you will notice the redness and itching subsiding.
- Take juice of half a lemon and mix it in lukewarm water and consume it with two cloves of garlic twice a day for 2-3 months for weight. This is the best way to eat garlic for health. Some very important medicinal benefits of raw garlic is it has good effect on cardiovascular diseases, anti-microbial, anti-viral, anti-fungal (3).
Garlic benefits for skin
Acne, Pimples and Spot Treatment
Allicin has antifungal properties which can be used to get rid of those stubborn acne. Just cut a freshly piece of clove and apply a little pressure on it to release some juice and then rub this garlic pod onto the affected area. Leave it for 5 minutes and wash off with cold water. This is useful in reducing the swelling and also for acne scars.
Blackhead and Whitehead Removal
One of the most common skin problems is blackheads. Their occurrence is particularly very high when you have oily skin. Take 2-3 cloves of garlic and crush them. Add 1 tbsp of oatmeal, 1-2 drops of tea tree oil and half tsp lemon juice. Mix these ingredients with honey to form a thick paste. Spread a thin layer of this paste onto clean skin. After letting it sit for 2-3 minutes, gently exfoliate your face followed by a rinse with warm water. Use this mask thrice in a week to see a visible reduction in blackheads.
Anti-aging and Pore Minimization
Beauty benefits of garlic also include the aid for anti aging. The strong anti-oxidants present in garlic help in reducing the free radical build up in the skin thus keeping it firm and youthful. It also contains sulphur, which helps the body to produce collagen which inturn helps in fighting wrinkles. To minimize pores make a paste by mashing together half a tomato and 3-4 garlic pods. Spread a thin layer of the paste onto your face. After 20 minutes, wash your face with lukewarm water and seal your pores with a final splash of cold water.