Garlic known as “lahsun” in Hindi belongs to the onion genus Allium and is closely related to the onion, rakkyo, chive, leek, and shallot. It has been used by humans for thousands of years and was used in Ancient Egypt for both culinary purposes and its health and therapeutic garlic benefits. It is easy to grow and can be grown year-round in mild climates. Here are some amazing health benefits of garlic eater.
Health Benefits of garlic
- Garlic cloves can help with cold sores as well. Cut open a raw clove of garlic and apply it directly to the sore. It will sting for a moment, garlic benefits help in healing the sore in no time and will also make sure that it does not get infected (1).
- Garlic (Allium sativum) has been used as a spice, food, and medicine for over 5,000 years, and is one of the earliest documented herbs utilized for the maintenance of health and treatment of disease. garlic has traditionally been used to strengthen the immune system and gastrointestinal health (2).
- The anti-fungal properties of garlic can also be used to treat fungal skin infection such as athlete’s foot and heat bumps on legs. Mince a few cloves of garlic and cover the affected area with it. Cover this with gauze and let it stay overnight. After washing feet in the morning, apply garlic oil on the affected area and cover with a sock. Repeat this process for a few days and you will notice the redness and itching subsiding.
- Take the juice of half a lemon and mix it in lukewarm water and consume it with two cloves of garlic twice a day for 2-3 months for weight. This is the best way to eat garlic for health. Some very important medicinal benefits of raw garlic are it has a good effect on cardiovascular diseases, anti-microbial, anti-viral, anti-fungal (3).
Garlic benefits for skin
Acne, Pimples and Spot Treatment
Allicin has antifungal properties that can be used to get rid of that stubborn acne. Just cut a fresh piece of clove and apply a little pressure on it to release some juice and then rub this garlic pod onto the affected area. Leave it for 5 minutes and wash off with cold water. This is useful in reducing the swelling and also for acne scars.
Blackhead and Whitehead Removal
One of the most common skin problems is blackheads. Their occurrence is particularly very high when you have oily skin. Take 2-3 cloves of garlic and crush them. Add 1 tbsp of oatmeal, 1-2 drops of tea tree oil and half tsp lemon juice. Mix these ingredients with honey to form a thick paste. Spread a thin layer of this paste onto clean skin. After letting it sit for 2-3 minutes, gently exfoliate your face followed by a rinse with warm water. Use this mask thrice in a week to see a visible reduction in blackheads.
Anti-aging and Pore Minimization
Beauty benefits of garlic also include the aid for anti-aging. The strong antioxidants present in garlic help in reducing the free radical build up in the skin thus keeping it firm and youthful. It also contains sulfur, which helps the body to produce collagen which in turn helps in fighting wrinkles. To minimize pores make a paste by mashing together half a tomato and 3-4 garlic pods. Spread a thin layer of the paste onto your face. After 20 minutes, wash your face with lukewarm water and seal your pores with a final splash of cold water.
Benefits of garlic for Hair
Garlic is excellent for hair growth. It helps in decreasing hair fall, boosts the regeneration of new hair follicles, removes harmful toxins from scalp, enhances hair texture, and reinforces the hair roots. The allicin in garlic helps increase blood circulation in the scalp which in turn reduces hair fall and helps in stimulating hair growth. Garlic also has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties that help in treating dandruff and itchy scalp.
- The simplest way to use garlic for hair is to add a clove of garlic in either your shampoo or conditioner. But make sure that you don’t use the garlic shampoo or conditioner more than twice a month as excessive use of garlic can cause dryness of scalp and hair.
- To reduce hair fall, soak a handful of garlic cloves in olive oil for a week. After a week, use this oil to massage your scalp and leave it overnight and wash your hair as usual. Use this oil once a week and you will notice a reduction in hair fall.
Garlic Side effects
Garlic Interacts With Antibiotics and Other Drugs
Garlic may interact with warfarin, antiplatelets, saquinavir (4), antihypertensive, calcium channel blockers and quinolone family of antibiotics so it’s best to consult a doctor about your garlic intake.
Bad Breath and Body Odour
Garlic breathes which is used to describe bad breath caused by eating raw or too much garlic however along with the menace of bad breath; garlic often causes a pungent body odor. This pungent odor is caused by allyl methyl sulfide.