Kapalbhati Pranayama, कपालभाति is breathing techniques that exert profound physiological effects on cardiovascular and mind. Kapalabhati Pranayama needs to breathe coordination at a higher rate and thence, a higher rate of metabolism muscle activity, that made strengthening of the metabolism muscles and resulted in improvement of respiratory organ operate. The word “kapalbhati” (Kapal = forehead; bhati = shining; pranayama = breathing technique) comes from two words, kapal and Bhati. The meaning of kapal is a skull, and the meaning of bhati is lighting, illuminating.
Types of kapalbhati (कपालभाति)
There are three types of kapal bhati as
# Vatakrama kapalabhati
It is a practice the same as Bhastrika, which a technique of Pranayama, except that exhalation is active whereas inhalation is passive, which is the opposite of normal breathing.
# Vyutkrama kapalabhati
It follows the same as Jala neti. This process involves sniffing water through the nostrils and letting it flow down into the mouth and then spitting it out.
# Sheetkrama kapalabhati
It can be thought as the reverse of Vyutkrama kapalabhati, within which water is taken through the mouth so expelled through the nose. Due to the method, the organs below the skull (mainly the brain) and also the little brain are influenced in a very smart manner.
This Pranayama is a miraculous yoga breathing exercise, invented by Indian yogis thousands of years ago, for complete body fitness. It affects even those diseases which are impossible to be cured by medicines like cancer, diabetes, asthma. According to Swami Ramdev, Kapalbhati is often termed as sanjeevani on earth. Numerous patients have gained a healthy and happy life by adopting it, in their daily life.
How to do Kapalbhati Pranayama (Skull
Shining Breathing Technique)
- To begin, sit in a comfortable position with your spine straight.
- Rest your hands on your knees, palms facing down.
- Bring your awareness to your lower belly.
- Inhale through both nostrils deeply.
- Contract your lower belly or use your hands to gently press on this area, forcing out the breath in a short burst.
- As you quickly release the contraction, your inhalation should be automatic and passive.
- Begin slowly, aiming for 65-70 contractions per minute. Gradually quicken the pace, aiming for 95-105 exhalation/inhalation cycles per minute.
- After one minute of the exercise, inhale deeply through the nostrils, and then exhale slowly through your mouth. Depending on your experience level, you may repeat the exercise.
Kapalbhati benefits (Skull Shining Breathing Technique)
- It improves the function of the lungs and another respiratory system.
- It improves the function of the reproductive system.
- Improves the function of the pancreas.
- Helps to produce insulin hormone naturally.
- Removes toxins from the body and helps to clean the internal system.
- Calms the mind and bring stability in mind.
- It helps in weight loss.
- It keeps depression away and brings positive thoughts.
- Improve the function of kidneys.
Precautions of Kapal Bhati Pranayama
- Heart patients should go slow with their exhaling
- Practice it in the morning on an empty stomach
- Those with high blood pressure should reduce their rate of contractions
- It is best to avoid this technique if you are pregnant or menstruating
- Avoid this pranayama if you have a slipped disc or a stent
- Be cautious and aware during the breathing exercise if you have respiratory issues like asthma