Gynecomastia is the phenomenon associated with the enlargement of breast in the male. It’s embarrassing for men as they look awkward and this leads to poor self-esteem. This can occur during any stage of life be it infancy, puberty or adulthood. Thus, it’s not associated with any particular age. Its typically bilateral that is, it at the same time affects both the breasts. However, it may be unilateral sometimes. The enlargement is focused around the nipples of male breasts.
Cause of gynecomastia
Hormone levels: the human body is comprised of both estrogen (female hormone) and androgen (male hormone). The composition of androgen is more among males. However, those suffering from gynecomastia have a higher presence of estrogen in their bodies.
Medicines and drugs: this may also be caused due to the side-effect of intakes of some medicines or drugs like antibiotics, anti-anxiety medicines, tea tree oil, estrogen which might be present in soy too, drugs for heartburn, narcotic drugs or corticosteroids, and anabolic steroids.
Medical illness or symptoms: it can also occur due to some medical conditions or medical symptoms. as an example of chronic kidney failure, obesity, low testosterone levels, hyperthyroidism or cirrhosis of the lever.
It is vital to notice that gynecomastia isn’t the same as the heavy breasts that seem in obese males. That is because of fat deposits. Similarly, it’s not similar to breast cancer too. Breast cancer can have an effect on one of the breasts and isn’t centered on the nipples.
Treatment for Gynecomastia
There isn’t any such best treatment for this issue because it is not a major issue and also the treatments are not found to be very successful too. Still, the available ones are listed below.
- The gynecomastia that affects the baby kids usually overcomes on its own with the expansion of the male child as the level of hormones gets balanced on its own.
- Medication: though medication isn’t found to be very effective for treating gynecomastia, a number of the medical treatments that may help in doing the same are as follows.
- It will be cured with the replacement of testosterone among those adult males who have a lower presence of testosterone in them. But it’s not effective for people who have normal male hormones in their bodies.
- Clomiphene is a medicine that might cure this phenomenon with continuous usage of 6 months.
- Surgery: when the medicines fail to reciprocate gynecomastia in 12 months, gynecomastia surgery is the available choice for treating it. Breast reduction surgery called reduction mammoplasty is beneficial when this persists for too long.
Prevention of gynecomastia
The gynecomastia that happens either due to secretion imbalances during the growth stage or due to aging can’t be prevented. Gynecomastia that is caused by medicines can be prevented only if the disease for which medicine is being used is controlled.
All in all, gynecomastia isn’t a disease or issue that has major damaging consequences. The sole issue that happens due to this is the change in the look of men. That additionally for a limited period of time as this condition mostly reverses on its own within a period of 6 to 12 months.