Bitter Gourd is used as food and medicines. It is considered the most bitter among all fruits and vegetables. They are dark or light green in color depending on the region where they are grown.Bitter gourd pickle Indian Way.
Bitter Gourd Pickle
4-5 Big Bitter Gourd(Karela)
2-3 tsp black salt
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp asafoetida
1 tbsp red chilly powder
1 tbsp fenugreek
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp black pepper powder
2 cup sesame oil
- Deseed the karela and chop into small pieces.
- Put the pieces in a bowl and add 1 tbsp black salt and 2 tsp lemon juice and mix well.
- Keep this aside for 15 min so that the excess water comes out of it.
- Strain the excess water using muslin cloth.
- Now take another bowl and add 1/2 cup oil and add all the other spices and sugar and mix well.
- Add karela to the mixture and mix well.
- Put this mixture in a jar and add the remaining oil to the jar and keep the jar in sunlight for minimum 10 days.
- After 10 days bitter gourd pickle is ready to eat.