Bitter Gourd recipe (Masala Bharwan Karela):
4 medium sized bitter gourds (karela)
salt to taste
1/2 tsp mustard (rai / sarson) oil
1/4 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1/4 tsp fennel seeds (saunf)
1/2 cup raw onion paste
1/4 cup grated tomatoes
1/2 tsp grated ginger (adrak)
1 tsp green chilli paste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1/4 tsp dried mango powder (amchur)
1/4 tsp garam masala
1/4 cup chopped coriander (dhania)
oil for deep-frying
Method for bitter gourd recipe:
Wash bitter gourds thoroughly in cold running water before cooking. Fresh pods as well as young leaves can be used for cooking. Bitterness can be reduced by marinating in salted spice mixture and drying under sunlight (commonly used in INDIA).
- Peel the bitter gourd and keep the peel aside.
- Slit each bitter gourd lengthwise, using a sharp knife. Scoop out the insides carefully creating a hollow in the center. Apply a little salt to the inside and outside of the bitter gourd and keep aside bitter gourds for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Heat the mustard oil in a non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds and fennel seeds.
- When they crackle, add the onion paste and sauté till it turns translucent.
- Add the tomatoes, ginger, green chilli paste, turmeric powder, dry mango powder, garam masala, salt and coriander and mix well.
- Sauté till the mixture leaves oil and keep aside to cool.
- Drain the water from the bitter gourd and pat dry.
- Fill the prepared mixture into the bitter gourd and tie stuffed bitter gourd with a thread.
- Heat the oil in a pan on a medium flame and deep-fry the stuffed bitter gourds till they turn golden brown from all the sides. Serve hot This Bitter gourd recipe.