Brinjal or Eggplants are available afresh all around the season. In the markets, varieties of eggplants varying in size, shape, and color are put for sale. Buy healthy looking, firm, shiny, bright-colored fruits that feel heavy and solid. Take a close look at the stalk; if it is stout, firm, and green; that means the fruit is fresh. One of the tasty recipe using brinjal is brinjal pickle.
Ingredients Brinjal Pickle :
2 Big brinjal cut into cubes
Salt to taste
1 tbsp red chilly powder
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp garlic paste
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp mustard powder
1 tbsp white sesame powder
1 tbsp fennel powder
1 tbsp tamarind paste
1/2 tsp asafoetida
2 cup oil
- Cut brinjal pieces into cubes and add salt to it to squeeze out the water, mix and keep it a side for half an hour.
- Heat 1 cup oil in a pan and add brinjal pieces after the water from them and fry them for some time.
- Take out the brinjal n keep aside and in the same pan with oil add ginger garlic paste and saute it.
- Add turmeric, chilly, mustard powder, fennel powder, white sesame powder and salt.
- Saute and add brinjal pieces to it. mix well.
- Add tamarind paste and mix. Cook for 1 min and turn off the heat and let it cool down.
- Pour this mixture in a jar.
- Take the remaining oil in a pan n add asafoetida to it heat n pour this oil in the jar filled with brinjal mixture.
- Close the lid n put it in the kitchen left undisturbed for 10 days.
- After 10 days pickle is ready to be served.