Cinnamon sugar cookies:
1/2 cups white whole-wheat flour
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
5 tablespoons canola oil
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract.
- Whisk white whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl for cinnamon sugar cookies.
- Beat 1 cup sugar, oil and butter in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer on high until smooth, scraping down the sides. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until smooth, scraping down the sides. Add the flour mixture and mix on low speed until just combined.
- Place half the dough on a large piece of plastic wrap and shape into a 10-inch log. Repeat with the remaining dough. Wrap and freeze until just firm, about 45 minutes. Reroll the logs to make them rounder and return to the freezer until very firm, at least 1 hour more.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Remove one roll of dough at a time from the freezer and let stand at room temperature for 5 minutes. Unwrap the dough and slice crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick rounds, turning the dough a quarter turn after each slice to help keep the cookies round. Place 1/2 inch apart on the prepared baking sheet. Combine the remaining 1 teaspoon each cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl and sprinkle each cookie with a little.
- Bake 8 minutes for soft cinnamon sugar cookies or 10 minutes for crisp cookies . Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with the remaining roll of dough, if desired.