Creamy (karela) Bitter melon recipe:
Ingredients for creamy bitter melon recipe:
750 gms bittergourd (karela) , sliced
oil for deep frying
1 onion , cut into rings
6 to 8 cloves
4 sticks of cinnamon
10 to 12 peppercorns
3 black cardamom
3 tbsp oil
1 cup fresh cream
1 cup tomato puree
1/2 cup walnuts, soaked in water , peeled and ground to a paste
2 onions , chopped
1 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp chilli powder
salt to taste
- Heat a pan and lightly roast the cloves, cinnamon, peppercorns and cardamoms and blend in a mixer to a smooth powder Keep aside.
- Rub salt on the bitter gourd pieces and keep aside for 1 1/2 hours in a perforated dish.
- Squeeze the karelas to remove excess salt.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai and deep fry the pieces till brown and crisp.
- In the same oil, add the onion rings and fry light brown and keep aside.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a non-stick pan and add the powdered spices and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add the turmeric powder, red chillies and salt and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped onions and saute till they turn golden brown.
- Add the tomato puree and saute till the water evaporates and the mixture becomes thick.
- Add the cream and stir continuously till the cream melts and releases oil.
- Add walnut paste and saute for another 5 minutes till the gravy thickness.
- Add the fried pieces of karela and mix well.
- Garnish with fried onion rings and coriander.
- Serve hot this bitter melon recipe.