Dates known as khajur in Hindi is a flowering palm species in palm family that is cultivated for its edible sweet fruit. The place of origin of the dates is unknown. It grows to a height of 70-75 feet (21-23 m). The shape is oval cylindrical. They provide a wide range of essential nutrients and hence there are various health benefits of dates. Some of the dried dates nutrition are proteins, fiber, trace elements of boron, cobalt, copper, fluorine, magnesium, manganese, selenium, zinc.
Several types of them are found in Arabia like Afandi, ajwah, baid, ghan, helya, jebaily many more…. In Pakistan, thick syrup made from ripe fruit is used as a coating for leather bags and pipes to prevent leaking.
Health benefits of dates (Khajur)
Cholesterol and Fat
- They are free from cholesterol and do not contain excessive fat amounts.
- You can easily substitute fatty food items with them, which gives you much more nutrition for the same amount of calories one of the best health benefits of dates.
- They provide proteins that are required by the body.
- They are a rich source of the nutrients which are the main building blocks for muscles (1).
- Dates provide us with plenty of proteins, which are in turn very essential for the regular functioning of the body.
- There are various types of vitamins in dates.
- It contains vitamins like B1, B2, B3, and B5, as well as A1 and C. You can easily consume most of your required dose of vitamins by making dates a part of your diet (2).
- You can have them for a quick snack as the natural sugars in it boost the body’s energy.
- It avoids the need for you to have an unhealthy snack or a high-calorie meal.
Potassium and Sodium
- They are rich in potassium and have very little sodium, which is a good combination for a healthy nervous system.
- The potassium in the dates reduces cholesterol and also lessens the risk of a stroke.
- Iron is an important element for the human body.
- They are rich sources of iron. People who are suffering from iron deficiency can include dates in their diet to hike their iron levels.
- The fluorine in dates helps to prevent tooth decay.
- People suffering from constipation should have dates soaked in water.
Weight Gain and Intoxication
- Dates are good supplements for weight gain.
- They are also used for detoxifying the body after over-consumption of alcohol.
Abdominal Cancer Cure
- They help in curing abdominal cancer.
The benefits of dates are so many, that one must make it a habit to include dates in their daily diet.
Benefits of dates for skin
Improves Skin Elasticity
- Dates are a good source of vitamin C and vitamin P. This helps enhance the skin’s elasticity.
- Dates nutrition also enhances the quality of the subcutaneous tissues (3), making your skin tender and smooth.
- Regular intake of khajur combat various skin problems, as well as strengthen the elasticity of your skin.
- Free radicals damage skin cells, causing premature aging of the skin. Vitamin C present in them helps resist oxidation.
- It also prevents the accumulation of melanin (4) in your body.
- Nutrients prevent fine lines and wrinkles.
- Have been considered as the herbal elixir of life for ages. They are renowned for enriching and replenishing blood, providing with youthful-looking skin.
Treatment of Skin Problems
- Vitamin B contained in dates is beneficial for your skin.
- The deficiency of this vitamin can lead to several skin problems.
- Being a natural source of vitamin B, dates can help remove skin problems like stretch marks.
Benefits of Dates Oil
- The oil extracted from them is loaded with the nutritional value of dates.
- They also contain anti-microbial properties (5) which make it a perfect massage oil to treat skin problems.
- In fact, it is a popular age-old remedy for regenerating and rejuvenating aging skin, and healing cuts and scars.
Benefits of dates for hair
Strengthens the Hair Follicles
Dates are excellent for your hair. Consuming 2 to 3 every day will strengthen your hair follicles and make your hair strands stronger and healthier.
Combats Hair Loss
- Vitamin B contained in them is beneficial for your hair. The deficiency of this vitamin can lead to weak and brittle hair (6).
- Anemia is also one of the causes of hair loss, especially among women. Palm fruit contains iron, which can effectively cure anemia caused due to menstruation and delivery. Therefore, eating dates for women especially is a natural way of treating hair loss problems.
- In case of excessive hair fall, try eating dry dates. They can nourish your hair roots, thus making your hair stronger.
Dates Oil benefits for Healthy Hair
Being packed with nutrients, their oil is excellent for your hair as it strengthens the hair follicles and helps combat hair problems. Regular application of this oil will make your hair thick and strong, and reduce breakage.
Disadvantages of dates
You have gone through some health benefits of dates but everything has some disadvantages associated if not taken in moderation. Here are some disadvantages of dates:
Can Increase the Blood Sugar Level
They are rich in sugar content which does not cause harm to healthy persons. But diabetics should not consume them as it increases the risk of high blood sugar in them.
Not Good For People on Diet
People on a diet should avoid eating this sweet dry fruit as weight gain is one of the side effects. Though, the sugar present in them is natural and it doesn’t contribute much to the weight but people on weight loss might find it difficult to control weight while having dates.
Not Advisable During Diarrhea
If you are suffering from diarrhea, avoid taking them as the fruit may worsen the condition. It can also trigger vomiting and cause uneasiness.
They are a rich sources of nutrients including vitamins, minerals, proteins, and fibers. All these contribute to the dates fruit benefits. In addition, it is also rich in potassium which if taken in excess can trouble the stomach. If the fruit is eaten in excess amounts, all these nutrients can lead to stomach cramps. So, never overeat and avoid stomach irritations.
Drinking a glass of water after eating fresh dates can cause bloating. Though it is one of the rare side effects but one should take necessary care.
Uneasiness in Chest
Many people have reported uneasiness in the chest and lungs after eating a fresh date. This side effect of dates is the outcome of the coarseness of the dry fruits.
Obstruction in Intestines
In many cases, it has been observed that excessive eating of green dates causes obstruction in the intestines. The situation is not worrisome but overeating should be avoided to reduce the risk of such health hazards.
Scientists have reported certain allergies that are associated with eating khajur. So, if you observe any adverse symptoms rather than the health benefits of dates after eating the fruit, consult your doctor.