Eggplant known as “Baigan” in Hindi is a species of nightshade grown for its edible fruit. It is known in South Asia, Southeast Asia, and South Africa as brinjal. Different varieties of the plant produce the fruit of different sizes, shapes, and colors, though typically purple. The most widely cultivated varieties in Europe and North America are elongated ovoid, 12–25 cm long (4 1⁄2 to 9 in), and 6–9 cm broad (2 to 4 in) in dark purple skin. Here are eggplant health benefits.
Eggplant benefits for skin, hair and health benefits of Eggplant (Brinjal)
Eggplant health benefits
Eggplant health benefits For brain
Eggplant contains phytonutrients that keep the cell membranes protected from any kind of damage and facilitates the message transfer from one part to another, thus preserving the memory function.
Eggplant health benefits to improve digestion
The digestive system is kept healthy and safe because of the good content of fiber in brinjal. This prevents constipation as well.
The eggplant has good amounts of vitamin C which make it an effective anti-viral and anti- bacterial source.
Eggplant health benefits for heart
The cholesterol levels are brought down to a great extent by the eggplant. It also helps stabilize the level of blood pressure. All this in turn lowers the risk of heart diseases.
Eggplant health benefits for diabetes
The eggplants are a very rich source of fiber and low soluble carbohydrates so they are highly beneficial for the regulation of blood sugar levels and also to control the absorption of glucose. One of the important eggplant health benefits.
Facilitates weight loss
Eggplant is considered to be high in water content yet low in calorie count. This feature makes it very ideal as a healthy diet for people who want to reduce weight.
Skin benefits of Brinjal (Eggplant)
The skin of eggplants have a lot of anthocyanins. These antioxidants in brinjal act as anti-ageing agents.
Prevents skin cancer
A particular antioxidant found in eggplant benefits to prevent skin cancer.
Eggplants have a good amount of water content. Brinjal benefits in keeping your body and skin well hydrated. The minerals and vitamins also help give a clear and smooth tone.
Soft and supple skin
The water content found in eggplants help keep your skin soft and supple.
Brinjal benefits for hair
Eggplants come with enzymes that help stimulate the follicles of your hair. This generates good hair growth and makes your hair healthier.
People with rough and dry hair should eat more eggplants. It helps give a healthy shine to your hair while improving its overall texture.
Ways to have brinjal in diet (brinjal recipes)
To Be Mixed Into A Marinade
1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
1 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
salt to taste
1 tsp oil
2 cups brinjals (baingan / eggplant) , cut into 1″ cubes
oil for deep frying
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp fenugreek seeds
1 tsp nigella seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp asafoetida
2 tbsp oil
1/2 cup sliced onions
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1 tsp chopped green chillies
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp punjabi garam masala
1/2 tsp dried mango powder
salt to taste
3/4 cup whisked curds
1/2 cup fresh cream
For The Garnish
2 tbsp finely chopped coriander
- Combine the brinjals with the prepared marinade in a deep bowl and toss gently. Keep aside for 5 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a pan and deep-fry the marinade brinjals in it till they are golden brown in colour from all the sides.
- Drain on an absorbent paper and keep aside.
- Combine the fennel seeds, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, onion seeds, cumin seeds and asafoetida in a small bowl and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan and add the above mixture.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onions, ginger-garlic paste, and green chilies and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the turmeric powder, chili powder, Punjabi garam masala, dry mango powder, and salt and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the curds, fried brinjals and fresh cream, mix gently and cook on a slow flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.