Okra, known in many English-speaking countries as ladyfinger, bhendi, bhindi, bamia, ochro or gumbo, is a flowering plant in the mallow family. It is valued for its edible green seed pods. The geographical origin of okra is disputed, with supporters of West African, Ethiopian, and South Asian origins. The plant is cultivated in tropical, subtropical and warm temperate regions around the world. Here are health benefits of Okra (Lady Finger).
Okra is a popular health food due to its high fiber, vitamin C, and folate content. Okra is also known for being high in antioxidants. Okra is also a good source of calcium and potassium.
Health benefits of Okra (Lady Finger,bhindi)
Good for Immune System
Various antioxidant components of okra make it very beneficial to fight off free radical, but the high vitamin C content also means that the general immune system is boosted. Vitamin C can stimulate the immune system to create more white blood cell.
Okra contains a very high content of vitamin A, as well as antioxidant components like beta carotenes, xanthein, and lutein. Free radicals are responsible for the degreadation of the cells in the body, including those responsible for vision.
High fiber in okra can help move food through your digestive tract by adding bulk. This means that bowel movements are more regular and there is a reduction in gastrointestinal issues such as bloating, cramping, constipation, and excess gas. One of nice health benefits of okra.
Health benefits of okra to Control Asthma
Asthma can also be treated by including okra in your meals.
Control Obesity with okra (bhindi)
Regular usage of okra, in either the raw or the cooked form, you can avoid obesity to a great extent. Obesity is not necessarily due to the consumption of fatty and calorific foods but also due to the lack of nutrients.
Okra is known to aid in the prevention of diabetes. It is rich in fiber that helps in the prevention of this disease.one of Very important health benefits of Okra (Lady Finger).
Control Cholesterol Level
Okra ensures the lesser absorption of cholesterol, preventing heart diseases and ailments occurring due to cholesterol in the blood.
Skin benefits of Okra (Lady Finger)
For Younger Skin
Vitamin C found in okra helps maintain a younger looking skin. It aid in repairing the body tissues. This, in turn, helps keep your skin younger and also makes it look more vibrant.
Prevents Skin Pigmentation
The nutrients found in okra actually help prevent skin pigmentation. It is useful for rejuvenating your skin and repairing damages.
Hair benefits of Okra (Lady Finger)
Okra is an excellent moisturizer for your dry and itchy scalp. It leaves your hair feeling soft and isn’t harmful.
Okra improves the overall scalp condition and fights dandruff. It moisturizes your scalp and keeps dandruff away.
Ways to have Okra (Lady Finger) in diet (okra,bhindi recipe)
Okra Masala (Bhindi Masala)
500 grams Ladyfingers (bhindi)
4 tbsp Oil
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
2 large Onions sliced
3-4 Green chillies slit
1 tsp Red chilli powder
1 tbsp Coriander powder
1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder
2 tsp Dry mango powder
- Wash and dry the bhindi or wipe with a wet cloth. Cut both the ends and cut into two inch long pieces. Slit the pieces horizontally without cutting them into two.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds. When they change colour, add the onions and saute till light golden. Add the green chillies and saute for half a minute.
- Add the bhindi and sprinkle the red chilli, coriander and turmeric powders. Mix well. Cook covered over low heat stirring occasionally.
- Add the salt and amchur. When the bhindi is almost cooked, increase the heat and cook for two minutes.
Stuffed Okra (Bharwan Bhindi recipe)
250 gms lady finger (bhindi) , cleaned, wiped and slit lengthwise
2 tbsp gram flour
2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp dried mango powder
2 tsp tomato ketchup
salt to taste
oil for frying
- In a hot pan, fry the besan,chilli powder,coriander powder,amchur. & ginger-garlic without oil for 2-3 mins.
- Turn off the flame and add tomato ketchup & salt and mix well.
- Now stuff the split bhindi with this paste one by one.
- Shallow fry on a pan covered with a lid till cooked well on one side.
- Now turn on the other side & add little more oil & fry till slightly crispy.