Salabhasana, शलभासन is also known as the locust pose or the grasshopper pose. This asana involves your upper body and middle back strength to proceed with the back bend and spine stretch. This asana helps exercise the spine. This beginners pose will help improve your balance and strength.
How To Do Salabhasana (Locust pose steps)
- Lie on your stomach with your arms along the sides of your torso. Your palms should face up and your forehead should rest against the floor.
- Turn your big toes toward each other to inwardly rotate your thighs, and firm your buttocks so that your tail bone presses toward your pubis.
- Exhale and lift your head, upper torso, arms, and legs away from the floor. You will be resting on your lower ribs, belly, and the front of your pelvis.
- Firm your buttocks and reach strongly through your legs, first through your heels to lengthen the muscles at the back of your legs, then through the bases of your big toes. Keep your big toes turned towards each other.
- Raise your arms parallel to the floor and stretch back actively through your fingertips.
- Imagine there’s a weight pressing down on the backs of your upper arms, and push up toward the ceiling against this resistance. Press your shoulder blades (scapulas) firmly into your back.
- Gaze forward or slightly upward, being careful not to extend your chin forward and crunch the back of your neck.
- Keep the base of your skull lifted and the back of your neck long.
- Stay for 30 seconds to 1 minute in this position and then release with an exhalation.
- Take a few breaths and repeat a few times.
Health benefits of Salabhasana (locust pose)
- Strengthens your Core and Back Muscles
- Lengthens the Spine and Opens the Chest
- Cures depression
- Improves flexibility in the back
- Strengthens the shoulders and arms
- Strengthens Upper Legs
- Balances the function of the liver
- Promotes Calmness and Improves Focus
- Improves Digestion
Precautions for Shalabhasana (locust pose)
- Avoid this pose if you have an injury to the ankle
- Individuals suffering from headache or blood pressure problems should not practice this pose
- Pregnant women should avoid this pose