The jackfruit known as “Kathal” in hindi (Artocarpus heterophyllus), also known as jack tree, jakfruit, is a species of tree in the mulberry and fig family (Moraceae). Here are jackfruit health benefits.
It is native to parts of South and Southeast Asia, and is believed to have originated in the southwestern rain forests of Indian Subcontinent, in present-day Goa, Kerala, Odisha, Tamil Nadu, Sri Lanka coastal Karnataka, and Maharashtra. The jackfruit tree is well suited to tropical lowlands, and its fruit is the largest tree-borne fruit, reaching as much as 35 kg (80 lb) in weight, 90 cm (35 in) in length, and 50 cm (20 in) in diameter.
The jackfruit tree is a widely cultivated and popular food item throughout the tropical regions of the world. Jackfruit is the national fruit of Bangladesh, by name Kathal in Bengali language.The Jackfruit tree can produce about 100 to 200 fruits in a year.
Jackfruit health benefits
Maintains blood pressure
Jackfruit has potassium that maintains the sodium level in the body. Good level of potassium helps to maintain the fluid level to balance electrolyte. Hence, it is nice among jackfruit health benefits and useful to reduce high blood pressure, stroke and heart attack.
Relief from Asthma
Jackfruit provides relief to people suffering from asthma. Asthma is a respiratory disorder affecting a number of people today. Very important jackfruit health benefits.
Prevents bone loss
Jackfruit is rich in magnesium that helps build and strengthen your bones.
Fight Cold and infections
Vitamin C supplements are known to prevent cold and infections. One cup of jackfruit can give your body a good amount of this antioxidant, strengthening your immune system.
Promotes hair growth
Jackfruit seeds can aid in healthy blood circulation that is vital for good hair growth.
Dip jackfruit seed in some cold milk for a minute. Grind this well and apply gently on the wrinkles. This can reduce wrinkles in just about 6 weeks.
High in protein
Jackfruit seeds contain a good amount of protein. This can be added to different dishes that you prepare.
Jackfruit has antioxidants, phytonutrients and flavonoid that provide protection from cancer. Antioxidants in jackfruit protect the body from free radicals. Free radicals are produced due to oxidative stress in the body. Jackfruit also provides protection against colon, lung and oral cavity cancer.
Jackfruit is a rich source of dietary fiber that makes it a bulk laxative. This helps to improve digestion and prevents constipation.
Rich antioxidant content in jackfruit increases eye vision and provides protection against cataract and macular degeneration. Jackfruit also contains vitamin A that is a vital nutrient for eye health.
Jackfruit health benefits Cure Anaemia
Jackfruit comes loaded with Vitamin A, C, E, K, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Pantothenic acid, Copper, Manganese and Magnesium that are required for blood formation. This also increases your body’s capacity to absorb iron, thus it is to preventing and curing anaemia.
Keeps thyroid healthy
Copper is vital for thyroid metabolism, especially for hormone production and absorption. Jackfruit is filled with this potent micro mineral and keeps your metabolism rate healthy.
Jackfruit seed can give you flawless skin. Soak some dry seed with milk and honey. Grind them into a fine paste and apply on your face. Let it dry, and then wash off to reveal flawless skin in just few minutes.
Ways to have Jackfruit in diet (jackfruit recipe)
Jackfruit Biryani recipe
For the rice:
1.5 cups basmati rice
4 cups water for cooking the rice
water for soaking the rice
one single strand of mace
2 green cardamoms
1 inch cinnamon
2 to 3 cloves
1 indian bay leaf
salt as required
For the gravy:
300 to 350 gms raw unripe jackfruit, about 3 cups chopped jackfruit
1 cup full fat yogurt
½ tsp turmeric
½ tsp red chili powder
a single strand of mace
a small piece of stone flower
3 green cardamoms
1 inch cinnamon
1 tsp caraway seeds
2 medium to large onions, thinly sliced
1 medium tomato, chopped
1.5 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
1.5 tbsp chopped mint leaves
3 tbsp ghee
1.5 to 2 cups water
salt as required
For the layers:
1 tsp ghee
3 tbsp milk
2 pinch of saffron
1 tsp kewra water or rose water
Preparing the rice:
- First rinse the rice till the water runs clear of the starch. Then soak the rice in enough water for 30 mins.
- Boil 4 cups of water in a pan or pot. Drain the rice and then add it to the boiling water.
- Add all the whole spices – mace, cardamoms, cinnamon, cloves and tejpatta. Season with salt and cook the rice till the grains are ¾th cooked. Drain and keep the rice aside.
Preparing the jackfruit gravy:
- Now apply oil on your palms, knife and chopping board. Chop the jackfruit and remove the seeds.
- While chopping, keep on adding the chopped jackfruit in a pan or a large bowl of water so that they don’t darken.
- Heat ghee in a pot.
- Add all the whole spices – mace, stone flower, cinnamon, cloves, caraway seeds, cardamoms. saute for some seconds till fragrant.
- Add the sliced onions and fry them till they begun to get caramelized or golden.
- When the onions begin to get golden, remove half of the onions and drain them on paper towels.
- Add ginger, garlic and green chili paste. saute for a few seconds till the raw aroma goes away. Then add the tomatoes, mint leaves and coriander leaves. saute for 1 to 2 mins.
- Add both the spice powders – red chili powder and turmeric powder. Add the chopped jackfruit. stir and saute for 7 to 8 mins. Then add the beaten yogurt.
- Stir and add water. add salt and cover the pot with its lid.
- Simmer the gravy till the jackfruit is cooked and tender. If the water dries up while cooking, then you can add some water. Also soak saffron in warm milk and keep aside.
Assembling the biryani:
- In the same pot, on top of the jackfruit gravy, add half of the fried onions.
- Spread a second layer of rice. add all the rice in this layer.
- If you want you can make 4 layers. then you will have to make these layers in another pan or pot.
- Sprinkle the saffron flavored milk along with the saffron threads, rose water or kewra water on the rice. also dot with ghee.
- If dum cooking on stove top – heat a tava or griddle. when the tava becomes hot, lower the flame. place a moist kitchen napkin or towel on the pot covering it. then place the lid tightly. the moist napkin or towel should not touch the biryani. keep the pot on the tava and dum cook for 25 to 30 mins on a low flame.
- If baking in oven – cover the lid of the dutch oven tightly. preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. place the dutch oven in the oven and bake for 20 to 25 mins.
- Once done, allow the biryani to stand for 7 to 8 mins. later serve the kathal biryani with raita, pickle and papad. And know jackfruit health benefits.
Jackfruit Chips recipe
Jackfruit slices – 10
Peppercorns – 1 tsp
Salt – as needed
Oil – as needed
- Heat a little oil in a small frying pan.
- Add pepper, fry and powder.
- Cut jackfruit and cut into thin strips.
- Heat oil in a frying pan.
- Add jackfruit strips and fry till crisp.
- Sprinkle pepper powder and salt.
- And use these with amazing Jackfruit health benefits.