Orange known as “santara” in hindi is a fruit of the citrus species. This fruit is believed to have originated in Southeast Asia. Orange trees are widely grown in tropical and subtropical climates and their sweet fruit is consumed fresh or processed to obtain their juice. The inner flesh of an orange is divided into segments, each containing seeds called “pips”.
The segments are separated by thin white fibrous material called “pith”. Oranges should not be confused with other citrus fruits like grapefruits and tangerines because grapefruits are usually much larger and yellower than oranges, while tangerines have a more flattened shape than oranges. Oranges are rich source of vitamin C and various other orange health benefits.
Orange Health Benefits (Santara)
Fibers, Hesperidin (1) and folate in Oranges keep your heart healthy. An orange a day can give you healthy cardiovascular system. One of important orange health benefits.
Folic acid present in Oranges helps in brain growth development (2).
Benefits of orange for Weight Loss
Oranges are very low in calories and rich in fibers which make you feel full for long.
Fights against Cancer
A compound called D-linonene, usually found in Oranges and other citrus fruits, fights against various cancers like colon cancer, lung cancer, skin cancer, breast cancer etc. Vitamin C protects cells from damage against free radicals.
Lowers Blood Pressure
Hesperidin and magnesium in orange nutrition facts help to control blood pressure effectively.
The fiber that are present in high concentration in Oranges help you in digesting food easily. It helps in releasing digestive enzymes or juices which help digest the food effectively.
Hesperidin and Pectin (5) present in Oranges lowers bad cholesterol. It helps the body to slow down the absorption of fats.
Oranges have low calories and can be consumed daily. It can balance the sugar levels in your blood very effectively.
Kidney Stones Prevention
If oranges are consumed daily, then there is a lower risk of developing kidney stones.
Bone and Teeth Health
Calcium rich Oranges help you maintain healthy bones and teeth.
The high fiber content in Oranges prevents many ulcers. An Orange a day can keep you away from stomach ulcers.
Oranges are very good for vision as well.
Hardening of arteries can be prevented with vitamin C, which is highly present in high quantities in Oranges. Orange fruit benefits to maintain elasticity and gives strength to the arteries one of the very important orange health benefits (6).
Fights against Viral Infections
Flavonoids and polyphenols in Oranges help you fight viral infections.
Benefits of orange for skin
Treatment of Dark Spots and Blemishes
- Orange peels have a higher content of vitamin C than the fruit itself. Dry the peels in the sun and grind them to prepare orange peel powder. This can be used as a body scrub.
- You can mix the above scrub with milk and milk cream and apply it on your face. This will provide an instant glow to your face as well as reduce dark spots and blemishes on your skin.
Treatment of Acne
- Excess dirt, soot or bacteria block your skin pores, resulting in the occurrence of pimples.
- Oranges have a high content of citric acid which is effective in drying away acne. Orange peels contain a high amount of dietary fiber which regulates bowel movements, thus eliminating harmful wastes and toxins from the body. This will prevent acne breakouts by getting rid of toxins.
- Prepare a face mask by grinding orange peels to make a paste and apply it all over your face. This will not only keep acne at bay but also combat skin oiliness. With regular usage, you can see visible reduction in pimples and its marks.
Skin Whitening Qualities
- Orange peels are a natural bleaching agent that can lighten dark blotches on the skin and effectively remove them with time. They help in reducing suntans by deflecting harmful UV rays from attacking skin cells.
- For orange health benefits, dilute the orange peel paste while creating the face mask because they contain a lot of citric acid which might irritate your skin.
- Oranges are a rich source of vitamin C which improves the skin texture and color.
- It also helps in restoring collagen in your body which is responsible for skin firming and prevents premature aging of skin.
- Oranges contain powerful antioxidants which fight off oxygen free radicals. These free radicals often cause wrinkles and sagging of cheeks.
- Orange peel mask is quite effective in extracting blackheads out of your skin.
- Prepare a mask by mixing one part yogurt with orange peel powder to make a thick paste.
- Apply this paste on your face, using gentle circular motions and wash off with warm water after 15 minutes.
- This is not only a natural and non-painful way of getting rid of blackheads but also unclogs excess oils and dirt clogged within skin pores. Easy among orange health benefits.
- Orange peels contain abundant amounts of vitamin C and antioxidants which maintain the oils of the skin. They are suitable for both oily and dry skin.
- Regular application of orange peels on skin removes dead cells and dirt as well as keeps the skin moisturized and toned.
- Calcium contributes to antioxidant production, thus reversing dry skin and providing the appearance of a healthy and glowing skin.
Rejuvenates Dull Skin
- Make a refreshing face spray using orange peels.
- Alternatively, you can juice 2 oranges and put the juice in an ice cube tray.
Rubbing these frozen orange cubes on your face will spruce up and brighten your dull and lackluster skin. It will refine your pores and control oil.
- Instead of grinding the orange peels, you can simply pour boiling water on the peels and leave for a day.
- Filter this liquid the next day and refrigerate it.
- Apply this liquid on your face with cotton ball and leave it until it dries up. Avail orange health benefits This will make your face firm and glowing.
Hair benefits of Orange
Treatment of Dandruff
- Juice of orange peel can be used on the scalp to control dandruff.
- Grind the peel and use it on your scalp. This will remove dandruff as well as cleanse your scalp.
- Alternatively, prepare a hair rinse by boiling the orange peels in water. Filter the liquid the next day and use it as a hair rinse to remove dandruff and get shining hair.
Stimulates Hair Growth
- Vitamin C along with bio flavonoids in oranges aids in circulation to the scalp which in turn promotes hair growth.
- They also contain folic acid, a type of vitamin B that is vital to hair growth.
- Insonitol is another form of vitamin B that prevents hair loss and stimulates hair growth. Hence, regular consumption of oranges is a great way of boosting the intake of these nutrients.
- Orange juice is an excellent conditioner for your hair.
- Prepare a conditioner at home by mixing the juice of one orange, water and one spoon of honey.
- Apply this mixture on your shampooed hair and leave it for 5 to 10 minutes. This will provide you with healthy, shiny and beautiful hair.