Peanut is classified as a grain legume and also as oil crop due to its high oil content. Peanuts contain anti-oxidants in high concentrations. These anti-oxidants become more active when peanuts are boiled. It lowers bad cholesterol and increases good cholesterol in the body. So here is the peanut butter recipe:
Best Indian Peanut Butter recipe
2 cups raw, shelled peanuts
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste.
1-2 tablespoons peanut oil or other oil (optional, for creamier peanut butter).
1-2 tablespoons honey or other sweetener (optional, for sweeter peanut butter).
Optional Add-Ins: 1-2 tablespoons cocoa powder, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon or other spice, handful of chocolate chips, a few spoonfuls of nutella.
- Pulse the peanuts until ground: Transfer the peanuts to a food processor or blender. If you toasted your nuts, do this while the nuts are still warm. Pulse a few times just until chopped. For chunky peanutbutter, remove 1/2 cup of chopped nuts and set aside.
- Process for 1 minute: Run the food processor or blender continuously for 1 minute. Stop and scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl. At this point, the peanutbutter will look gritty and dry, almost like couscous.
- Process for 1 minute: Run the food processor or blender continuously for another minute, then stop and scrape down the sides. At this point, the butter will start clumping together.
- Process for 1 minute: Run the food processor or blender continuously for another minute, then stop and scrape down the sides. At this point, the butter will be glossy and soft, like very thick peanutbutter.
- Add the salt, oil, sweetener, and any other extras: Sprinkle the salt, oil, sweetener, and any other extras over the top of the peanut butter.
- Process for 1 to 2 additional minutes: Continue processing the butter until it becomes completely smooth. Homemade peanut butter will still be a little more gritty than Skippy peanut butter, but should be spreadable at this point. Taste and add more salt or other add-ins to taste. If you reserved some nuts for chunky peanut butter add them now and pulse a few times to incorporate.
- Transfer the peanut butter to storage container: Scrape the peanut butter into a storage container, cover, and refrigerate. The peanutbutter can be used immediately and will keep for several weeks in the fridge.