Setu Bandha Sarvangasana known as सेतुबन्धासन or bridge pose is a common posture or asana. As you perform Bridge Pose, you will become more alert in both body and mind. This rejuvenating backbend will open your chest up and keep your spine flexible. While beginners can practice it safely, skilled practitioners can still experience its many benefits. Setu Bandhasana will also help to prepare you for more intense backbends.
This setu bandha sarvangasana is relatively simple and quite exhilarating. If you find it difficult to hold the lift in your pelvis, slide a block or bolster beneath your sacrum (1) and rest the pelvis on it for support. In contrast, if you are looking to deepen the stretch, lift your heels off the floor once in Bridge Pose and push your tailbone up towards the pubis. Once the tailbone is lifted, stretch the heels back to the floor.
How to do Sethu Bandhasana (Bridge Pose, सेतुबन्धासन)
- Lie on your back with your arms next to the body, palms down.
- Bend your knees and place your feet flat on the floor, heels close to the buttocks, hip width apart.
- With the feet parallel to each other, press the upper arms into the floor, press your feet into the floor (inside and outside equally) and begin to lift the hips up to the ceiling, moving your breastbone to the chin, but not the chin to the breastbone.
- Lift your chin slightly to keep space under the back of the neck.
- Firm your tailbone in towards the pubic bone and your pubic bone moves slightly towards the belly.
- Actively bring the knees out in front of you to keep the lower back extended.
- Keep the knees above the ankles.
- Your buttocks are firm but not clenched.
- Your hips are lifted as high as is available to you with these principles in place.
- Clasp your hands behind the back and firm the arms into the floor, shoulder blades are down along the spine.
- You can take between 5 and 15 breaths in this pose.
- To come out, release the arms and lower the hips down to the floor on an out-breath.
Health benefits of setu bandha sarvangasana (Bridge Pose Benefits)
- Strengthens legs, glutes and upper back.
- Improves digestion.
- Reduces backache and headache.
- Helps to strengthen the muscles of the back. Setu Bandhasana benefits help to relieve the stress trapped in the back.
- Stretches and tones the neck, spine, and chest.
- Reduces depression, stress, and anxiety and calms the brain (2).
- The lungs are opened up, and thyroid problems are reduced.
- Benefits pregnant women and also helps alleviate menstrual pain and symptoms of menopause.
- It also aids high blood pressure, sinusitis, asthma, insomnia, and osteoporosis (3).
- With regular practice blood circulation is improved.
Contraindication of Sethu Bandhasana (Bridge Pose)
- People who are suffering from a neck injury must either completely avoid this asana, or do it with a doctor’s permission under a certified yoga instructor.
- Pregnant women may do this asana, but not to the full capacity. They must do it under the guidance of a yoga expert. If they are in their third trimester, they must do this asana with a doctor’s consent.
- If you have back problems, you must avoid this asana.