It is an aromatic beverage which have different flavors. There are many varieties of tea in India. Some of them are, Regular milk tea(made in most of the houses), Masala tea, Green tea, Black tea, Lemon tea, Kashmiri tea and there are lot of many to count. Tea has been considered as the National Drink of India due to its high consumption. Indians calls it CHAI and it is famous for being drunk in KULLHAD( a small mud cup)
How Tea has got its origin and became famous in India?
Tea was originated in China as a medical drink in which they just boil water and add tea leaves to it. Tea plants were native to East Asia only. During 16th century, Portuguese priests and merchants introduced tea to the west. In Britain and Ireland, there used to be a heavy tax imposed on tea, that’s why it was first consumed as a luxury item on special occasions only, like on festival , meetings etc.
But later on, tax was removed from tea, so it became the common beverage to all levels of society. In INDIA, for the first time, it was introduced by Britishers in order to break the Chinese monopoly. Britishers brought Chinese seeds into Northeast India, but due to some reasons, plantation failed there. Later on, they discovered different variety of tea which was endemic to Assam and Northeast region of India. And after that, it became popular in India from 1950s on-wards.
Now a days, most of the Indians start their day with a cup of tea, which shows a fondness of Indians towards Tea at present. Whenever any guest comes to home, this is first preferential beverage to be offered after water.
Ways to have TEA in your diet
5Regular milk tea recipe
Ingredients for regular chai
¾ cup water
2 heaping tsp (about 8 g) tea leaves
½ cup milk
Sugar or honey (optional)
Method for tasty milk tea-
- In a milk pan or small saucepan, add some water and boil it over medium-high heat.
- When the water is boiling, add tea leaves and reduce the heat and simmer for 1 and half minute to 2 minutes.
- Add milk and slowly bring just to simmer.
- When the tea is about to boil, remove from the heat and pour the tea through a tea strainer or fine mesh strainer and into your serving cup.
- Serve with sugar or honey and sweeten it according to your liking.
4Black tea recipe
Ingredients for black tea-
Tea Leaves – 1 tsp
Water – 1/2 cup
Sugar as per taste
Method for black tea-
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Add tea leaves and reduce flame to low.
- Stir well and simmer for a minute or two.
- Strain and pour into serving cups.
- Add sugar to taste.
3Green tea recipe
Ingredients for green tea-
1.5 tsp Green Tea Powder
1 cup Water
Sugar or Honey to taste
Method for green tea-
- Boil a cup of water in a vessel.
- Once the water starts boiling, turn off the flame and add the green tea powder.
- Let it sit for 3 – 5 minutes.
- Now strain the tea into a cup and add the sugar / honey.
- Enjoy your healthy green tea.
2Lemon tea recipe
Ingredients for lemon tea-
2 cups Water
1 tbsp Tea Powder
1 tbsp Lemon Juice
2 tbsp Sugar or as needed
Method for lemon tea-
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil.
- Add the tea powder and let it simmer for a minute.
- Turn off the flame and add the sugar and lemon juice to it and mix it well until the sugar dissolves completely.
- Strain the tea through the strainer into a bowl.
- Pour the tea into cups and serve hot.
1Masala tea recipe
Ingredients for masala tea-
Tea leaves 4-6 tsp
Milk 1 cup
Chai masala 1 tsp
Sugar Free 4 measures
For masala for masala tea-
Cinnamon 1 inch stick
Green cardamoms 4
Nutmeg grated 1/4 tsp
Method of masala tea-
- Dry grind all the masala ingredients to a fine powder. Let it cool completely then sieve. Store in an airtight container.
- Use the masala as and when required to make tea. Boil three cups of water in a pan.
- Add tea leaves, milk, the powdered masala and Sugar Free and bring the mixture to a boil again. Boil for a couple of minutes. Strain and serve piping hot.