Turmeric a QUEEN of spices belongs to the ginger family which is native to Southwest India. It is typically used in dried and powdered form. It is the important ingredient in most of the commercial curry powders. It is used as an agent to impart a rich yellow color. In India,turmeric plant leaf is used to prepare special sweet dishes. Turmeric (curcuma longa) in Hindi called as HALDI has a very important role in Hindu spiritualism.
Haldi ceremony is observed during Hindu wedding celebration in many parts of India which takes place 2-3 days before wedding. This ceremony takes place individually at bride and groom’s place and in some parts this occasion is celebrated together by both the families. There are lots of turmeric benefits for your health and skin which we have discuss here.
Turmeric benefits for skin, hair and health
- The anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties also reduce inflation in the brain, which is believed to be the main reason behind Alzheimer’s disease. This can, therefore, also delay the onset of Alzheimer’s. Turmeric benefits include these properties.
- It regulates the homocysteine (1) levels and, therefore, through its interactions in the level, it also controls the cholesterol level. It is also useful to ward off cardiovascular diseases.
- Curcumin benefits also moderates your insulin (2) levels thereby having a limited level of influence over diabetes control.
- Curcumin benefits boosts the immunity on account of its strong antioxidant activity that fights off free radical attacks in the system.
- Its strong anti-inflammatory property also acts against the development of rheumatoid arthritis (3) and delays it.
- When taken as turmeric supplement, it also aids in reducing joint pains.
- It also aids in fat metabolism to help manage the weight along with improving digestion, reducing gas and bloating.
- It extracts or bitters when taken twice a day daily for two weeks prior to the expected menstruation cycle will help reduce the monthly menstrual cramps in ladies.
- It has antibacterial properties along with anti- inflammatory and antiseptic properties. Thus, curcumin is a good healing agent.
- It is said to prevent cancer and childhood leukaemia (4) with the aid of its main component -curcumin.
- It helps in detoxifying the liver, which further prevents the risk of hepatitis, cirrhosis (5) and jaundice.
- For worms in Stomach: Take 1 tsp of it powder with water empty stomach every morning. Turmeric milk is also a great way for general body detox.
- Taking turmeric milk daily can help in blood purification and liver detox. Blood impurities can lead to sever health problems and turmeric milk benefits, a great way to combat it.
Turmeric benefits for skin
It has been used as a beauty product for centuries. It is an inexpensive and natural way of treating several skin problems and getting a flawless skin. It comes with a range of turmeric benefits for skin.
Treatment of skin conditions
Being a natural antiseptic, with milk is effective in treating skin conditions like poison ivy, eczema and psoriasis (6). Eczema is quite itchy and a painful disease characterized by red, scaly patches on the skin. Topical application of a mixture of turmeric with milk can soothe the skin and reduce the redness and inflammation.
Removal of Facial Hair
You can make a facial scrub by mixing turmeric with chickpea (gram flour). Applying this on your face can inhibit the facial hair growth. This paste should be applied consistently for about a month to get effective results.
Reduction Of Skin Pigmentation And Skin Tanning
To remove skin tanning and pigmentation, apply a mixture of curcuma powder and lemon or cucumber juice on the affected area for 20-30 minutes and wash off with plain water. This should be done regularly for beneficial results.
Treatment of cracked heels
It is an excellent healing agent. If you have cracked heels, you can apply a mixture of 3 spoons of it with a few drops of coconut or castor oil on your heels for 10 to 15 minutes before taking a bath. Doing this regularly will soften your heels.
Removes Dead Cells
Make a paste by mixing gram flour and turmeric with water and apply it on your body. Scrub gently while taking a bath. Doing this regularly can rid you of dead cells to give you a glowing and spotless skin. Applying a mixture of turmeric and milk on your face and lips can cleanse your face as well as act as a healing agent for your lips to treat dry and chapped lips.
Can apply a paste made from it and milk or yogurt on your face. Leave the turmeric mask overnight and rinse it off the next morning using a light cleanser. Alternatively, you can add a pinch of turmeric to your moisturizer and cleanse the next morning. This should be done twice a week to get beautiful, healthy and younger looking skin.
Treatment of Acne
Turmeric for skin is effective in the treatment of acne due to its antiseptic and antibacterial property (7) that fight pimples and breakouts to provide a youthful glow to your skin. Turmeric face mask not only helps to clear acne scars and inflammation, but also reduces the oil secretion by the sebaceous glands. You can prepare a face pack by mixing it’s powder and sandalwood powder and adding lemon juice to the mixture. Apply it on your face for 10 minutes and rinse off with lukewarm water. For acne scars, apply a mixture of it and plain water on the marks for 15 minutes.
Turmeric face mask for oily skin
It is beneficial for oily skin as it regulates the production of sebum, an oily substance produced by the sebaceous glands (8). Sandalwood acts as an astringent and orange juice, being a source of vitamin C, helps clear the blemishes. For oily skin, make a paste by mixing 1 ½ tbsp of sandalwood powder and a pinch of ground turmeric with 3 tbsp of orange juice and apply it on your face. Leave it for 10 to 15 minutes and rinse off with lukewarm water.
Turmeric face mask for dry skin
If you have dry skin, you can make a face mask by combining 1 egg white, 2 drops of olive oil, fresh lemon juice and rose water and a pinch of it. This can be applied to all dry areas such as the face, neck, elbows and knees. Allow it to dry completely and then wash off with warm water.
Treatment of Wrinkles
Turmeric, in combination with other ingredients, is effective in reducing fine lines and wrinkles. You can prepare a turmeric face pack by mixing turmeric powder and rice powder with raw milk and tomato juice and apply turmeric face mask on your face and neck for 30 minutes. Rinse off with lukewarm water. This will reduce wrinkles as well as brighten your skin.If you have dark circles, you can add a pinch of it to 2 tbsp of buttermilk and apply it around your eyes for 20 minutes. Rinse off with cool water. This is effective as turmeric benefits in eliminating wrinkles as well as dark circles.
Signs of Aging
Being an excellent exfoliating agent, turmeric uses can help eliminate the signs of aging. You can make a paste by mixing besan (gram flour) and turmeric powder in equal proportions with water. This paste can also be prepared in raw milk or even yogurt. Apply it evenly on your body and allow it to dry. Rinse off with lukewarm water and scrub your face gently in a circular motion.
Treatment of Stretch Marks
Turmeric benefits to lighten stretch marks. For this purpose, apply a mixture of it with besan (gram flour), yogurt/raw milk/ water on the stretch marks.
It can provide quick relief in case of burns, thanks to turmeric antiseptic properties. You can apply a mixture of it and aloe vera gel on the burn and experience the wound heal in no time.
Acne scars and wrinkles
It can help reduce the scars of acne. For this, take equal amount of haldi and black sesame seeds and make the paste of them. Apply the paste on face and let it dry and rinse off with warm water for turmeric benefits for skin (9).