The plum known as “aloo bukhara” in hindi is a wonderful, juicy fruit that belongs botanically to the family of Rosaceae. This fruit belongs to the genus Prunus domestica, which also includes peaches, nectarine and almonds. It is one of the few fruits that come in a panorama of colors. The plant which bears this fruit is a small shrub that is widely grown all across the world, especially in China, United States, Japan, and Europe. The plum fruits differ in color and size according to the region of origin. The plant bears the plum fruits mostly during the months between May and September and it has nice plum benefits for health.
Dried plums are known as prunes. There are around 2000 varieties of plums available in the world, and 100 are available in the United States alone. Though India is not much known for this fruit production, the country grows approximately 12 varieties of plum. Their primary producers are Punjab, Himachal Pradesh and Jammu and Kashmir. It is one of the rarely found fruits in India here are plum benefits
Plum benefits for health
- Plum and prunes have the increased ability to absorb iron in the body. This ability is due to the high vitamin C content in plum. plum benefits in blood circulation in the body and prevents anemia.
- It also removes toxins and prevents constipation leading to weight control naturally. Plum is rich in fiber and antioxidants, which aid proper digestion and good metabolism.
- Plums rank quite low in glycemic index, plum control the blood sugar level and reduces the risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
- Advocated reading-7 Amazing Vegetarian Calcium Rich Foods
- The soluble fiber in plums also helps to lower cholesterol by soaking up the extra bile in the intestine and then excreting it. Bile is made in the liver to digest fat. When the body excretes bile along with fiber, the liver makes use of the cholesterol in the body to make more bile, thereby lowering the amount in circulation in the body.
- Plum also assists the body in making healthy tissues and a strong immune system. plum benefits in cold and flu and is helpful to people who suffer from recurrent infections.
- Eating plums boosts the bone health, especially of post-menopausal women. It reverses bone loss due to the rich amount of penoic and flavonoids compounds.
- Magnesium in plums is necessary for muscle contraction and nervous impulses.
- Prunes have a good amount of folic acid and calcium which contribute to the supply of folates. Folate is very essential for pregnant women and for the growth of the fetus.
- Plums also have diuretic and detoxifying effects on the body.
- Advocated reading-Wonderful benefits of whole wheat
- The compounds sorbitol and isatin, found in plums, help in regulating the functioning of the digestive system and in relieving constipation.
- The vitamin C in the plum helps the body develop resistance against infectious agents, counter inflammation and free radicals.
- Plums are also good for the eyesight and for maintaining healthy mucous membranes and skin.
- Anthocyanins, that are reddish blue pigments in this fruit, protect against cancer by mopping the free radicals. Vitamin A found in plums is also known to protect from oral and cavity cancer. Plums are particularly good in preventing breast cancer. The antioxidant power of plums and their phytonutrients cease the development of the breast cancer cells without killing the healthy cells.
Plum benefits for skin
- The vitamin E and beta-carotene, an antioxidant in plums, protect the fatty acids and the cell membranes from the attack of the free radicals, which allows the body to fight the signs of ageing skin such as loss of elasticity and wrinkles.
- The plum contains a high amount of antioxidants and high anti-inflammatory properties,plum benefits the circulation and cell metabolism, reducing inflammation. This, in turn, promotes the elasticity of the skin and keeps acne and wrinkles at bay.
- Strawberry Health benefits -“A Queen of Fruits”
- Drinking plum juice can also help to even out the skin tone and firm the skin by improving the skin health and rejuvenating its appearance. Collagen deficiency often makes the skin dull and lifeless.
- Plums can also reduce the appearance of scar tissue by increasing the blood flow to the scar tissue, minimizing the look of the scar and blending in the development of new skin.
- Plums have high amounts of antioxidants that provide effective shield against the sunrays and reduces the sun damage.
- Plum benefits in replacing damaged tissue and help to heal the wounds at a faster pace. plum benefits in improving the skin elasticity and create scar tissue and ligaments for quick recovery.
- Applying plum pulp on the face lightens dark spots and treats skin discoloration, freckles and age spots to give you a younger looking and healthy skin.
Plum benefits for hair
- Plum can also help reverse adrenal gland fatigue. This is very crucial for stopping hair break and encourages more hair growth since the adrenal glands are very important for maintaining proper hormonal imbalance.
- The high iron content in plum benefits improves the blood circulation and repairs the capillaries to promote stronger and thicker hair.
- Plums can also help to treat damaged hair and aid in the treatment of a variety of hair disorders that can damage the follicles and prevent proper hair growth. It also helps combat alopecia, male baldness in men.
- Amazing apple benefits attached
- Free radicals often make our hair weak, brittle and thin. These conditions often hinder proper hair growth. Vitamin E in the plum benefits the cell membranes and prevents free radical from attacking the follicles of the scalp one of important plum benefits.
- The vitamin C in the plum benefits to get rid of dandruff. The hair follicles often get clogged due to dandruff and flaky skin.
Ways to have Plum in your diet
Plums 10 medium.
Sugar 1/3 cup.
Water 1/3 cup.
Lemon juice 2 tablespoons.
Honey 2 tablespoons.
- Wash and remove stone from the plums. Roughly chop them. In a saucepan combine plums, sugar, water and lemon juice.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat, but maintain boil. Stir and mash well with back of spoon. Cook for about fifteen minutes, or until thickened.
- Remove from heat, stir in honey. Allow it to cool to room temperature before it is filled in jars or glass bottles.
Sugar – 1/2 cup
Water – 1/4 cup (room temperature)
Cooking fruits & nuts
Dry fruits – 1 cup (raisins, sultanas, dates, figs)
Candied Orange/Lemon Peel – 1/4 cup, sliced thin
Unsalted Cashew – 1 cup, chopped
Orange juice – 3 tbsp
Unsalted Butter – 2 sticks (8 oz) at room temperature
Sugar granulated (white) – 1 cup
Eggs – 3 large
Vanilla Extract – 1 tsp
All-Purpose Flour – 1 1/4 cup
Baking Powder – 1 tsp
- In a pan on medium heat add 1/2 cup sugar, let it melt gradually until it turns golden brown give a quick swirl. It would take 3-4 minutes to melt completely let it further darken for 20-30 secs and switch off the stove. Add the 1/4 cup water and now the caramel would harden, slowly heat and cook for 6-8 minutes until completely melted. The caramel would be dark similar to pepsi/coke. Set aside and completely cool down
- In another pan on medium heat add the orange juice/ rum and cook for 2 minutes and add the dry fruits, orange peels and cook for 3 minutes mix well and add the chopped nuts and cook for another minute. Set aside and cool down
- In a bowl sift flour, salt, spice powders and baking powder, set aside
- Pre-eat oven to 350F / 180C and line an 8″ pan with parchment paper make sure that the sides are lined with 4″ height, this helps in not burning the cake
- In a mixing bowl beat butter until smooth, add 1 cup sugar gradually and beat until soft and fluffy.
- Add one egg at a time and beat for 2 minutes after every addition. Add the vanilla and rum extract and beat for another minute
- Slowly add flour and caramel alternately and beat well after every addition until everything is used up
- Add the dry fruits and nuts and mix well until well combined
- Tip the cake pan with the batter and bake in center of oven for 50-55 mins start checking the cake from 45 mins. Check with a skewer inserted in center and comes clean
- Once done let in cool with pan for 10 mins. then release the cake onto the cooling rack until it is completely cooled down