Coughing happens when viruses, bacteria, dust, pollen or other substances irritate the nerve endings in the airways between the throat and lungs. A cough is the body’s way of trying to clear the passages, and what a valiant effort the body makes in this endeavor. Here are amazing homemade cough syrup and herbal medicine for cough.
We can cough at speeds up to 60 miles per hour, and the average cough produces enough air to fill a two-liter soda bottle about three-fourths full. The air of a cough sprays out several feet, and is accompanied by some 3,000 tiny droplets of saliva.
While chronic coughs can be a sign of a serious illness, most people consider the common cough to be more of an annoyance than a health issue. Although side effects like chest pain, exhaustion, and incontinence can accompany a cough, the more vexing complaints often have to do with a cough’s ability to interfere with your (and your household’s) sleep and the propensity to be annoying in otherwise quiet places.
While many people reach for over-the-counter medicines, experts say that many of them are a waste of money. A report from Harvard University notes, “According to American College of Chest Physicians guidelines, many of the active ingredients in over-the-counter cough remedies are ineffective.”
Homemade cough syrup (herbal medicine for cough)
1. Homemade cough syrup recipe with Ginger, Honey and Lemon
2 inch Ginger, Raw honey-1 cup, 2 lemons, Water
- Peel a piece of ginger root and cut it into slices.
- Zest 2 fresh lemons using a grater.
- Pour 1 cup of water into a saucepan. Add ¼ cup of the ginger slices.
- Add 1½ to 2 tbsp of lemon zest.
- Bring the solution to a boil, then let it simmer for 5 minutes. Strain the solution and set it aside.
- Pour 1 cup of raw honey into a saucepan and heat it over low heat, but do not let it boil.
- Mix in the previously strained ginger solution. Add the juice extracted from both the lemons.
- Keep stirring the mixture over low heat for a few minutes. Turn off the heat and pour homemade cough syrup into a jar.
2. Cough Syrup recipe with Garlic, Honey and Horseradish
Honey – ½ cup, Garlic – 1 tbsp (chopped), Horseradish -1 tsp (fresh prepared)
- Mix up all the ingredients properly.
- Take 1 or 2 tsp when required. You can add more honey to sweeten the taste of this homemade cough syrup. It has proved to be helpful in curing chronic bronchitis and sinus problems as well.
3. Cough Syrup recipe with Honey and onion
Onion – 1 medium sized (sliced), Honey – ¼ cup
- Take a bowl and put onion slices in it.
- Mizzle honey on the top. Cover it with a lid and leave it overnight, or for 5 to 6 hours.
- Strain this solution in the morning. Consume 1 tsp of homemade cough syrup to get relief from cough. You may not cough after smelling this.
Alternatively, take a thin slice of onion and sprinkle some sugar on it. Wait until the sugar gets converted into the syrup form (minimum 15 minutes). Sip it. You will not find the taste of onion in it.
4. Homemade cough syrup recipe with Molasses, ginger powder and peppermint
- Combine all the ingredients and take a tsp after every 4 hours.
5. Cough Syrup recipe with sage, Honey and Lemon
Sage leaves – 2 tbsp (fresh) or 1 tbsp (dried), Boiling water, Lemon, Honey
- Take the leaves of sage (dried or fresh) and pour a cup of boiling water on them.
- Steep them for a couple of minutes. Strain afterwards, and add lemon and honey to taste.
- Sip this cough syrup slowly. The sage tea can help fight the bacteria and, hence, soothes the sore throat.
½ to 1 teaspoon every 2 hours for children ages 1 to 5 years
1 to 2 teaspoons every 2 hours for children ages 5 to 12 years
1 to 2 tablespoons every 4 hours for adults and children older than 12 years